A Letter from the Standing Committee & Chancellor
Dear Members of the Diocese of Florida,
An objection has been filed by a little over 10% of voting delegates challenging the Bishop Coadjutor election. As your Standing Committee and Chancellor, we want to assure you – with the highest degree of confidence – that we believe in the election’s validity from every perspective. Below are the key facts on the election that provide more context and clarity. We value transparency, so if you have any questions, please contact us any time at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our Articles of Reincorporation require two-thirds of all canonically resident clergy to form a quorum for the election of a Bishop Coadjutor Elect.
- We offered an online option to canonically resident clergy only on Thursday, May 12 in order to meet the clergy quorum requirement. This permitted clergy impeded by factors such as COVID-19 risk, travel and emergencies to attend and vote digitally.
- We comfortably met the quorum thanks to clergy eager to participate.
- This option was not offered to laity because unlike clergy delegates, lay delegates have alternates who can attend and act in their stead.
- Diocesan Council ensured that our bylaws permit online attendance and voting, according to Florida Law.
- The quora for both clergy and lay delegates were confirmed prior to and following each round of balloting at Convention and no objections or questions were raised by any candidate or delegate.
- The voting process, tallies and final result were fully audited and confirmed by independent, non-Episcopal auditors.
- During the Convention, no objections were made to any other procedures by any delegate or the candidates.
We value the input and consciences of our few friends who have objected, and we will do everything we can to follow the proper channels so that their questions and concerns may be answered.
Thank you, again, for your participation throughout the entire search process and election. We look forward to the exciting next steps of the transition period and welcoming Bishop Coadjutor Elect Father Charlie Holt and his family back into our Diocesan family.
With Faith, Hope, and Love,Your Standing Committee
The Rev. Joe Gibbes
Mr. Ben Hill
The Rev. Teresa Seagle
Mr. Arthur Crofton
The Rev. Sarah Minton
Ms. Jackie Jones
Fred C. Isaac, Chancellor