Today [2 Feb 2021] was an historic day in the Diocese of Jerusalem.For the first time since the establishment of Israel in 1948, a brand new Episcopal church has been consecrated in the Holy Land: Christ the King Church Tarshiha in Upper Galilee, near the Lebanese border.
At noon, Archbishop Suheil Dawani, Bishop Hosam Naoum, and diocesan clergy gathered with Fr. Hatim Jiryis and representatives from his congregation for a moving service of consecration for the beautiful new building.
Over the past three years, the parish has partnered with congregations in Switzerland, Germany, and Austria, who have generously contributed towards the construction of the church and its integrated parish hall. Both were built on land donated by the town itself.
Congratulations to Fr. Hatim and his congregation on this joyous occasion! Please continue to keep them in your prayers, as more work (and fundraising) needs to be done on the interior in order to satisfy the requirements for an occupancy license, including the addition of an elevator.