The Church of Uganda has backed the postponement of this year’s Uganda Martyrs Day celebrations at Namugongo, after President Yoweri Museveni’s government delayed the June 3 observances because of the Ebola outbreak in neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo.
In a 18 May 2026 statement posted to its official Facebook page, the Church of Uganda said it had “taken note of the guidance issued by H.E. the President of the Republic of Uganda regarding the postponement of the Uganda Martyrs Day celebrations that were scheduled to take place on 3rd June 2026 at Namugongo”.
The statement, issued by Provincial Secretary, the Rev. Canon William Ongeng, said the decision followed “consultations with the Government of Uganda, the national epidemic response authorities, and religious leaders” and had been made “in the interest of protecting the lives and health of pilgrims and the general public, particularly in light of the Ebola outbreak reported in parts of the neighboring Democratic Republic of Congo”.
“While this annual gathering remains one of the most significant events on the Christian calendar, the Church recognizes the importance of prioritizing public safety and preserving life,” the provincial statement said.
The Church of Uganda said it “fully supports the guidance issued by Government” and called upon “all Christians, pilgrims, dioceses, and organizing committees to cooperate accordingly”.
The statement urged those who had already begun preparing or traveling to remain calm, observe Ministry of Health guidance, and “continue praying for the nation and all affected communities”.
The Ugandan State House said the government postponed this year’s Martyrs’ Day celebrations after consultations among President Museveni, the National Epidemic Response Task Force, and religious leaders, because of “heightened public health concerns linked to an Ebola outbreak in neighbouring eastern Democratic Republic of Congo”.
“After consultations with the national epidemic response task force and religious leaders, we have decided to postpone the Martyrs’ Day to a later date, which will be communicated,” President Museveni said, according to State House Uganda.
The president said Uganda receives thousands of pilgrims each year, including from eastern Congo, and added: “To safeguard everyone’s lives, it is essential that this important event be postponed”.
State House said the president encouraged pilgrims who had already begun their journey to return home, observe precautionary measures, report anyone who is sick, and encourage the ill to seek medical care.
Uganda Martyrs Day, observed annually on June 3, commemorates the Christian converts killed between 1885 and 1887 under Kabaka Mwanga II of Buganda, and the annual Namugongo pilgrimage normally draws large numbers of Christians from Uganda and neighboring countries.
The World Health Organization said it was alerted on 5 May 2026 to a high-mortality outbreak of unknown illness in Mongbwalu Health Zone in Ituri Province, DRC, and that laboratory analysis confirmed Bundibugyo virus disease, a species of Ebola, in eight samples on 15 May.
The DRC Ministry of Public Health, Hygiene and Social Welfare declared the country’s 17th Ebola disease outbreak on 15 May, with cases reported in Rwampara, Mongbwalu, and Bunia health zones in Ituri Province.
WHO reported 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths as of 15 May, while Uganda confirmed an imported Bundibugyo virus disease case from the DRC in a Congolese man who died in Kampala and then confirmed a second imported case on 16 May.
On 16 May, the WHO Director-General stated that Ebola disease caused by Bundibugyo virus in the DRC and Uganda constituted a Public Health Emergency of International Concern, while stating that it did not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency under the International Health Regulations.
The WHO advised affected countries to consider postponing mass gatherings until Bundibugyo virus disease transmission is interrupted, while also advising that no country should close its borders or impose general travel and trade restrictions.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the outbreak was caused by Bundibugyo virus, that Uganda had activated surveillance, screening, and response measures, and that CDC had issued a Level 1 Travel Health Notice for Uganda and a Level 3 Travel Health Notice for the DRC on 15 May.
Unlike some other Ebola virus strains, WHO said there is no licensed vaccine or specific therapeutic against Bundibugyo virus disease, though early supportive care is lifesaving.
No new date for the national Martyrs Day celebration at Namugongo has yet been announced.