Tasmanian Anglicans respond to abuse report released by Royal Commission

 

Tasmanian Anglicans respond to abuse report released by Royal Commission

Author: 

Stephen Carnaby

The new Anglican Bishop of Tasmania, Dr Richard Condie, (pictured) has responded to the release today of the Royal Commission report on the CEBS (Church of England Boys Society) Case study.

Bishop Condie said, “This report highlights the historic failures of the Anglican Church in Tasmania to care for children, and brings to further light the horrors of child sexual abuse.

“As Bishop of the Anglican Church in Tasmania I am deeply saddened by these failures and again I offer my apology to those who continue to be affected by them.

“The Report is critical of the way in which Bishop Philip Newell handled these matters in the 1980s and 1990s. As a result, I have today initiated a process of Church discipline in relation to Bishop Newell.

“Bishop Newell resigned his Licence to conduct church services early last year.

“Given the serious nature of the findings in the Royal Commission report, swift action is warranted, which is why I have acted today.

“The discipline process involves an investigative period, where evidence will be examined and Bishop Newell will have an opportunity to put his defence. If the formal investigation recommends that charges be laid, the Church's disciplinary tribunal will be convened to hear the matter.”

Bishop Condie also said, “The Anglican Diocese of Tasmania has instituted many changes over the last 15 years to improve our response to victims, ensure the proper training of church workers in safe ministry practice, and to ensure the safety and wellbeing of children. We will be carefully considering the report over coming weeks to see if any further changes are needed.”

Bishop Condie will be available for interview outside St David’s Cathedral, Macquarie St, Hobart, at 2pm today, Monday.

Categories: